For the second time this week, Nokia has stepped boldly into mobile computing. Switching from a stubborn attachment to its Symbian operating software, the Finnish phone giant introduced a smartphone that runs on Maemo, a Linux-based operating system.
The device is basically a hand-held touch-screen computer with a 5-megapixel camera and a whopping 32 gigabytes of memory. The Maemo software runs an ARM chip, which allows for more processing power than standard smartphones and uses far less battery power than conventional PC chips.
|Maemo powered Nokia N900|
The move comes just three days after Nokia announced it was entering the cutthroat netbook arena with a 3G Booklet later this year.Nokia has faltered in recent years as gadget leaders like Apple (AAPL), Research In Motion (RIMM) and even Palm (PALM), took the lead in new touch-screen-powered smartphone designs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV