AB InBev Sells Off Irish, Scottish Units
BRUSSELS (AP) ¿ Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world's largest brewer, said Thursday it will sell off its Scottish and Irish Tennent's Lager units to Ireland's C&C group plc for 180 million pounds ($292 million).
C&C will gain control of Scotland's biggest selling beer in a deal that will also allow it to promote its Magners cider more widely in Scotland. One in three pints sold in Scotland is Tennent's and it is the fifth most popular beer across the United Kingdom.
For AB InBev, this is the latest in a string of sell-offs in Asia and North America as it sheds smaller "non-core" businesses and raises money to help pay for the $52 billion takeover that formed it last summer.
AB InBev said the sale of the Tennent's brand in Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland included the Glasgow Wellpark Brewery where the beer is made.AB InBev chief executive Carlos Brito said C&C was "a strong strategic buyer who is well-positioned to invest in and advance these assets." The company said this will not affect the rest of AB InBev's business in England and Wales. AB InBev will still be able to distribute Tennent's Super and Pilsner in other regions and C&C will sell some AB InBev brands in Scotland and Ireland for 20 years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV