SWS Group Fiscal 4Q Profit Falls On Charge
DALLAS (AP) ¿ SWS Group Inc. said Wednesday its fiscal fourth-quarter profit shrank by nearly 57 percent as the investment and financial services company recorded a charge related to a decline in the value of two stocks it holds.
SWS reported net income for the three months ended June 26 of $3.6 million, or 13 cents per share, down from a profit of $8.4 million, or 31 cents per share, in the year-ago period. Excluding a 12-cent accounting charge on the reduced value of two common stocks in its investment portfolio, NYSE Euronext and U.S. Home Systems Inc., the Dallas-based company would have earned 25 cents in the latest quarter.
In the year-ago quarter, SWS Group recorded a one-time gain of 4 cents per share from an acquisition.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had expected profit of 20 cents per share, on average. Analysts' estimates typically exclude one-time charges and gains.Total revenue fell about 4 percent to $122.1 million in the latest quarter from nearly $127.8 million. The total revenue figures do not include interest expenses, which dropped about 42 percent to $23.1 million from nearly $40 million in the year-ago quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV