GDF Suez Posts 6.3 Percent Net Income Drop In H1
PARIS (AP) ¿ European energy giant GDF Suez SA on Wednesday reported a 6.3 percent drop in net profit in the first half as the economic downturn crimped energy demand.
The Paris-based gas and electric utility said its net income totaled euro3.26 billion in the six months through June, down from euro3.48 billion in the same period a year ago.
Revenues rose 2.3 percent to euro42.2 billion, according to a statement released Wednesday night.
The company said it expects the third quarter to be down from a year earlier, with "more noteworthy growth in activity" in the fourth quarter.The company said it is on track to fulfill its full-year and medium-term targets of a higher Ebitda, or earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, in 2009 than in 2008. Ebitda rose 2.2 percent in the first half to euro7.9 billion, according to the statement. CEO Gerard Mestrallet said the company is "in an ideal position to take rapidly advantage of recovery in its major markets." Company shares fell 1.68 percent in Wednesday trading, closing at euro29.25 before the statement was released.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV