Wintel Primes the PC Pump: Tech Rumor of the Day
Speculation is heating up in the PC market, and this time it's not all about netbooks.
If developments go as planned, you can expect a new crop of ultrathin notebooks later this year running on not just the new Microsoft Windows 7 software, but also on new, smaller super-powered Intel chips.
Intel is expected to unveil a new line of chips at the Intel Developer Forum starting Sept. 22 in San Francisco. The line, known as Westmere, will include dual-core processors called Core i3, i5 and i7. These are the first Intel chips build on a smaller 32 nanometer level featuring two core processors, four megabytes of cache memory and a graphics processor all in the same thin package.After years of watching PC buyers flee bloated, virus-plagued, Windows- powered machines to buy Apple (AAPL) Macs or cheaper stripped-down netbooks, the Windows-Intel duo may be poised to strike back. The new chips combine computer and graphics processing in a thinner form and are designed to consume less power, two key improvements for laptop fans. Presumably, the new notebooks will sell for less than $1,000, and sit squarely between the $300 netbooks and the $1,400 Macbooks. The arrival of the new Intel chips coincides with the new Windows 7 system, for a potentially refreshing line up of notebooks for the holidays. The bigger issue however is how well it fits in the consumers' budget.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV