Verizon to Skip Motorola Android Party
SCHAUMBURG, Ill. TheStreet) -- Motorola (MOT) says it will lift the curtain on its Google (GOOG) Android phones Sept. 10 at a media event in San Francisco, but don't expect to see telco partner Verizon on the stage.
A Verizon representative says the company is not part of the Motorola event and added that he did not know what Motorola was announcing. Adding to the mystery, a Motorola rep said the company will announce its phone company partners at the event.
The Verizon no-show will come as a slight shock to those Motorola watchers who expected to hear details about the Android phone headed to the No. 1 wireless carrier.
As TheStreet reported last month, Motorola will introduce two Android phones, one for Deutsche Telekom's (DT) T-Mobile and one, according to a source close to the company, for Verizon (VZ) in October.The confusion going into the event adds extra drama to what is already billed as a defining moment in Motorola's long awaited comeback.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV