CUPERTINO, Calif. (TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL) CEO Steve Jobs has been pouring his attention into a new touch-screen tablet device the company is developing, the Wall Street Journal reports, citing people familiar with the situation.
Jobs has been particularly involved in the product's advertising and marketing strategy, the Journal reports, meaning the device could be released relatively soon. The people familiar with the matter declined to give details on the tablet or disclose when the device would come out, according to the Journal.
Jobs, in an email to the Journal, said "much of your information is incorrect," but didn't provide specifics. A spokesman for Apple declined to comment for the newspaper
The fact that Jobs is deeply involved in the product shows how important the new device is to Apple, the Journal reports, noting that in the months before Apple launched the iPhone in 2007 Jobs was on top of every detail, such as the curvature of the phone's back.Barron's reported earlier this month that Apple's tablet device could soon make its debut, perhaps with an announcement in September and a release of the product in November. Apple has yet to respond to a previous request for comment from TheStreet.com on its tablet strategy. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV