NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Looks like organized labor will take a more prominent seat at the table.
Earlier today, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York announced that AFL-CIO President Denis Hughes was named chairman of the New York Fed's board of directors. According to most accounts, this marks the first time a labor boss has headed the group's board.
The appointment comes on the heels of some controversy.
In May, former chief economic policy adviser to President George W. Bush and Goldman Sachs (GS) Chair Stephen Friedman abruptly resigned from his New York Fed chair spot after reports of potential conflicts with his former firm began to swirl.After Goldman became a bank holding company, thereby putting it under the purview of Fed officials, Friedman continued to purchase Goldman shares. Friedman maintained the moves were above board. Hughes, who has served as acting chair since Friedman left, will remain chair for the rest of 2009. He was appointed deputy chairman in 2007 and first joined the New York Fed as a director in 2004. Lee Bollinger, President of Columbia University, will step into the deputy chair role. -- Reported by Sung Moss in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV