The reason he sited for the company's relatively strong performance was that it "flooded all media" with advertising, "spending like mad." Companies that "pulled back ... didn't do as well as Unilever," he said.
Those wondering how to play the recent exodus of advertisers from Glenn Beck's Fox News show following a comment some interpreted as racist "ought to take their cue from Unilever," said Cramer.
As for Fox News parent company News Corp. (NWS), he called the company's quarter "spectacular" and "amazing." "Fox News was the big driver in the News Corp. quarter," he said, but advertisers have shifted their money from Beck's show to other shows, so "you shouldn't be selling News Corp. on that."Turning his attention to the high volume in stocks such as AIG (AIG), Citigroup (C) and Fannie Mae (FNM), Cramer said they "all tend to be retail names." He said Knight Capital (NITE), which he called "fabulous" and "a really well-run company," is a "pure play" on retail coming back. And royalty trusts such as Permian Basin Royalty Trust (PBT) are a "pure play on oil going up," Cramer said, recommending them as IRA investments.-- Written by Rebecca Corvino in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV