Updated with closing stock price
Like the elusive feline with which it shares its name, Snow Leopard has kept well hidden for the last few months, prompting plenty of speculation about the technology's debut.
Apple had been expected to launch version 10.6 of its Mac OS X sometime in the fall, possibly in September, but is clearly looking to racking up additional software revenue as early as possible."Snow Leopard builds on our most successful operating system ever and we're happy to get it to users earlier than expected," said Bertrand Serlet, Apple's vice president of software engineering, in a note released Monday before market. There, is of course, method to Apple's madness. By moving its launch forward, the tech leviathan can grab the tail end of the lucrative back-to-school season, and also steal a march on Microsoft (MSFT), which launches Windows 7 on Oct. 22. Snow Leopard will now ship on Aug. 28, with a single-user upgrade priced at $29 and a five-user Family Pack that costs $49. A server version of the technology will also make its debut on Friday, priced at $499 for unlimited client licensees. Touted by Apple as much faster, more robust, and half the size of the existing OS X Leopard, the new versions of the software also have built-in support for Microsoft Exchange Server 2007.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV