WASHINGTON (TheStreet) -- Regulators shut down two banks and two thrifts Friday, bringing the total number of failed U.S. banks and savings and loans during 2009 to 81.
The Office of Thrift Supervision took over ebank of Atlanta and appointed the FDIC receiver. The FDIC then sold the thrift's deposits and sole office to Stearns Bank NA.
Georgia regulators shut down First Coweta Bank of Newnan, Ga. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. was appointed receiver and sold the failed bank's retail deposits and branches to United Bank of Zebulon, Ga.
The Alabama State Banking Department closed CapitalSouth Bank of Birmingham, Ala. and appointed the FDIC receiver. The FDIC sold all of CapitalSouth's retail deposits and branches to IBERIABANK of Lafayette, La. IBERIABANK is the main subsidiary of IBERIABANK Corp. (IBKC).Lastly, the Office of Thrift Supervision shuttered Guaranty Bank of Austin, Texas, the main subsidiary of Guaranty Financial Group (GFG). In a deal that was leaked Thursday, the FDIC sold all of the bank's retail deposits and branches to BBVA Compass of Birmingham, Ala., the main U.S. subsidiary of Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria SA (BB). First Coweta and CapitalSouth were included in TheStreet.com's preliminary list of 104 undercapitalized banks and thrifts, based on preliminary second-quarter data. Guaranty Bank and ebank were not included in the preliminary second-quarter list, since data for most thrifts was unavailable when the report was published on Aug. 6. Of the 89 institutions on a previous list published TheStreet.com in late May, 35 have failed. All previous bank failures since the beginning of 2008 are detailed on TheStreet.com's interactive Bank Failure Map.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV