Sector Snap: Ethanol Producers Slide
ST. LOUIS (AP) ¿ Shares of ethanol producers rose in Monday afternoon trading as oil prices hit a new high for the year after Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said the U.S. economy is recovering, which could increase demand for gasoline.
Ethanol producers were battered over the last year as prices collapsed because of over production and a drop in demand for fuel.
Agribusiness giant ADM is one of the young ethanol industry's biggest players, with new ethanol refineries throughout the Midwest. Shares rose 74 cents, or 3 percent, to $28.71. Chairman and CEO Patricia Woertz told investors earlier this month that ethanol profit margins are improving after months of over production.
Hurting ethanol companies is an increasing amount of supply and falling crude oil prices. A barrel of crude dropped 15 cents to $60.40 on the New York Mercantile Exchange, after earlier dipping as low as $59.52. Falling crude prices makes alternative fuel less attractive to customers.Among other ethanol producers, MGP Ingredients Inc. rose 2 cents, or nearly 1 percent, to $4.02. Pacific Ethanol rose 4 cents, or 10 percent, to 39 cents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV