Books-A-Million 2Q Earnings Double
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) ¿ Retailer Books-A-Million Inc. said Thursday its second-quarter earnings more than doubled on lower interest expenses despite lower sales.
The company earned $1.5 million, or 10 cents per share, compared with $645,000, or 4 cents per share, a year ago.
Revenue fell slightly to $122.4 million, from $123.3 million a year earlier.
Same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least a year, fell 4.9 percent in the quarter."The sales environment remained challenging during the quarter, and our results reflected the difficult comparison to last year's release of Stephanie Meyer's blockbuster Breaking Dawn," CEO Clyde Anderson said in a statement. Shares fell 24 cents, or 2.1 percent, to $11.07 in aftermarket trading. The stock closed up 76 cents, or 7.2 percent, to $11.31 in the regular session.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV