Mich. Office Furniture Exhibit Emphasizes Design
MUSKEGON, Mich. (AP) ¿ It is a museum show about office furniture as art ¿ but with designs on being more.
So the ways in which furniture maker Herman Miller Inc. has used design to improve people's lives at work is the focus of the new exhibit at the Muskegon Museum of Art.
"This is not just about cool furniture," says the museum's executive director, Judy Hayner ¿ although examples such as the Marshmallow sofa and the Aeron desk chair will be on prominent display."Good Design: Stories from Herman Miller," which opens Friday, showcases the development and evolution of many of the company's significant designs of the past 80 years. Visitors will see sketches, production notes, photographs, models, prototypes and original examples of standout products. Hanging from the walls will be examples of the colorful posters printed by Herman Miller to tout its annual summer picnic for employees. The show examines the design process the company has used since the 1930s as a "kind of problem-solving research-based approach," said Mark Schurman, who oversees Herman Miller's archive, rather than simply "a retrospective of a particular designer or an homage to a particular body of work. It's really more about the process."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV