School Specialty Acquires Canadian Company
GREENVILLE, Wis. (AP) ¿ School Specialty Inc. said Thursday is has acquired a Canadian company that provides educators with reading and math aids for struggling students.
Greenville Wis.-based School Specialty, which makes pre-kindergarten learning products, said it acquired Ottawa-based AutoSkill International Inc. for $11.7 million.
The acquisition expands School Specialty's educational technology offerings, and builds upon the company's market position in kindergarten through 12th grade reading and math intervention, with an emphasis on third through ninth grades, the company said in a statement.
With annual revenue of $10 million, AutoSkill will become part of School Specialty's educational publishing segment.AutoSkill is best known for its "Academy of Reading" and "Academy of Math" software, which help educators develop intervention strategies to build student fluency in reading and math. School Specialty also said it has signed an agreement to sell its retail trade book business, School Specialty Publishing, to Carson-Dellosa Publishing LLC, a newly formed business. The sale follows School Specialty's previously announced decision to explore strategic alternatives for its retail trade book business, which primarily markets educational products such as basic skill publications and test preparation materials to parents through mass market retailers and major bookstore chains. The company will combine School Specialty Publishing with its Cookie Jar Education business into the newly formed company, School Specialty will hold a 35 percent minority interest in the new business. Shares rose 74 cents, or 3.3 percent, to $23.13 in afternoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV