School Specialty 1st-quarter Profit Drops 15 Pct
GREENVILLE, Wis. (AP) ¿ School Specialty Inc. said Thursday profit for the first quarter fell 15 percent on lower sales, the result of educator spending cuts.
The company, which makes pre-kindergarten learning products, reported net income of $28.4 million, or $1.51 per share, compared with $33.4 million, or $1.75 per share, a year ago.
The current quarter and the year-ago period included non-cash accounting charges which totaled 10 cents per share, and 9 cents per share, respectively.
Revenue fell 13 percent to $330.4 million from $378.8 million a year ago. The decrease was primarily due to reductions or delays in spending by many school districts, the company said. The largest drop was in the furniture and equipment category. It also included an expected $10 million reduction in science revenue.Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters were looking for a higher profit of $1.72 per share. The revenue decline seen over the past nine months is looking better as spending is beginning to pick up as educators replenish supplies, CEO David J. Vander Zanden said, in a statement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV