Standex Posts 4.5 Pct Rise In 4Q Profit
SALEM, N.H. (AP) ¿ Shares of Standex International Corp. soared Thursday after the diversified manufacturer said its fiscal fourth-quarter profit rose 4.5 percent despite weaker sales amid the economic downturn.
Net income for the three months ended June 30 climbed to $5.7 million, or 45 cents per share, from $5.4 million, or 44 cents per share, during the year-earlier period.
Revenue slid 23 percent to $139.9 million from $180.8 million.
"Our fourth-quarter results clearly demonstrated that our cost reduction initiatives are having a very significant positive impact on our bottom line performance," Roger Fix, president and CEO, said in a statement."This performance, despite lower sales, was the result of our recent cost-reduction measures as well as our ongoing strategy to increase margins through Lean initiatives, productivity improvements and plant consolidations," he said. For the full year, the company reported a loss of $5.4 million, or 44 cents per share, from a profit of $18.5 million, or $1.49 per share. Shares of Standex rose $3.41, or 23.1 percent, to $18.19 in afternoon trading. The stock has ranged from $7.85 to $30 over the past year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV