NetApp Stokes Recovery Fires, but Shares Slump
SUNNYVALE, Calif. ( TheStreet) -- Storage company NetApp's (NTAP) strong first-quarter results provide yet more evidence that IT spending is creeping back, although the company's shares plunged in Thursday trading.
Tech has been challenging Brett Favre in the comeback stakes recently with plenty of chatter about a spending rebound. NetApp, however, was unwilling to give any hostages to fortune when it released its results after market close Wednesday.
Despite comfortably beating analysts' estimates, NetApp declined to provide second-quarter sales guidance, which appears to be weighing heavily on investors. The Sunnyvale, Calif.-based firm also announced that COO Tom Georgens had replaced Dan Warmenhoven as CEO as part of a "planned transition" which sees Warmenhoven become the company's executive chairman.
The market was underwhelmed by the news. NetApp's shares fell $1.09, or 4.78%, to $21.79, reversing the modest gain in tech stocks that saw the Nasdaq rise 0.59%.Investors may also be spooked by NetApp's first-quarter operating expenses, according to Wedbush Morgan analyst Kaushik Roy. The company's OPEX came in at $444 million, above NetApp's own guidance, although Roy thinks that this should stabilize during the coming months. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV