( Updated with closing stock price movements throughout.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- American International Group (AIG) was among the top performers of the financial sector Thursday after the insurer's new CEO said he expects to repay bailout funds to the U.S. government.
Bloomberg reported that Robert Benmosche, who last week took over as head of the troubled insurer, said he believes AIG will be able to pay back the government and also do something for the insurer's shareholders.
The U.S. government loaned AIG $182.5 billion in late 2008 after deciding that a failure would be too disruptive to financial markets. In return, AIG handed roughly an 80% stake to the U.S."The fact is we owe the U.S. government a lot of money and we are not going to be able to pay it back just by our profits, so we will sell some of the company off but only at the right time at the right price," Benmosche said in an interview, according to the report. AIG shares surged by 21.3%, to close at $32.30. Other insurers finished the session higher as well, with MetLife (MET) and Hartford Financial (HIG) rising 3.1% and 3.8%, respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV