Nut Distributor John B. Sanfilippo 4Q Profit Rises
ELGIN, Ill. (AP) ¿ Fiscal fourth-quarter profit for John B. Sanfilippo & Son Inc., a leading provider of nuts under the Fisher and other brands, rose as sales edged up nearly 2 percent.
The company reported net income of $4 million, or 37 cents per share, compared with $2.7 million, or 25 cents per share, for the same period a year ago.
Sales increased to $127.5 million from $125.3 million, as total pounds of all products shipped to customers increased 9.5 percent year-over-year.
The improved performance also was due to better procurement and selling activities, eliminating unprofitable items and cost savings measures, said CEO Jeffrey T. Sanfilippo, in a statement.For the year, the company reported net income of $6.9 million, or 65 cents per share, compared with a loss of $6 million, or 56 cents per share, in fiscal year 2008. The results for the current year included a $1.7 million charge for a pistachio recall. The 2008 results included debt extinguishment costs of $6.7 million and restructuring costs of $1.8 million. Sales for the year increased to $553.8 million from $541.8 million. Shares rose 48 cents, or 5.4 percent, to close at $9.37.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV