Apple's iTunes Beatlemania: Tech Rumor of the Day
CUPERTINO, Calif. ( TheStreet -- The Apple (AAPL) rumor mill is spinning again. The consumer tech giant is said to be planning one of its keynote events for Sept. 9, and speculation is mounting that the firm will make a major music announcement.
The AllThingsDigital Web site quoted "multiple music industry sources" who said that Apple was planning an event for the week of Sept 7. Apple has often used the week following Labor Day to make major launches so this would not be unusual. Last year, for example, Apple unveiled its new iPod nano and iPod touch on Sept. 9, as well as iTunes version 8.
Intriguingly, Sept. 9 is also the launch date for "The Beatles: Rock Band" video game, and there is growing speculation that Apple will unveil the Fab Four's iTunes catalog on the same day.
The Beatles' music is not yet available for digital download, but would certainly give Apple's iTunes business a shot in the arm. Apple reach the 8 billion mark for iTunes downloads earlier this year, although the Cupertino, Calif.-based company is not one to sit on its hands when it comes to a new revenue opportunity.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV