Shares Of Homebuilders Advance On Housing Starts
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shares of homebuilders advanced Tuesday after a report showed construction of new homes rose for the fifth straight month, while shareholders approved a takeover of Centex Corp. by rival homebuilder Pulte Homes Inc.
The Commerce Department said Tuesday the pace of single-family home construction edged up almost 2 percent in July, while building permits for future construction climbed nearly 6 percent.
Still, new home construction is off more than 70 percent from the peak in January 2006, and apartment construction fell 13 percent from June to July.
The report came a day after the National Association of Home Builders said its housing market index rose this month to the highest point in more than a year, as homebuyers hurried to take advantage of a federal tax credit before it expires.Builders and real estate agents are pressing in Congress for that credit to be extended. If the tax credit expires, "we could see a fallback," said David Crowe, chief economist for the National Association of Home Builders.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV