Centex, Pulte Shareholders OK Takeover
Pulte Home Inc.'s $1.53 billion takeover of rival Centex Corp. was approved by shareholders of both companies Tuesday, creating the largest homebuilder in the United States.
The deal matches Pulte's division for retirement-age homebuyers with Centex's focus on young first-time buyers. By absorbing Centex, Pulte is now positioned to sell homes in 29 states and Washington D.C., under brands such as Del Webb, DiVosta and Fox & Jacobs. Pulte also gains large tracts of land in Texas, North Carolina and South Carolina.
"It was a very satisfying victory," said Richard Dugas Jr., Pulte's president and CEO, who now adds the title of chairman. He said he expected the transaction to be finalized by the end of the day.The combined company is keeping the Pulte name and headquarters in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., but not all of the employees. Dugas didn't say how many people might lose their jobs, but said some cuts could come "right away." Timothy Eller, the CEO of Dallas-based Centex, will serve as a director and vice chairman as well as a consultant for two years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV