Updated with closing stock prices
Value is always the key to finding good investments. For an old oil guy like me, the solar stocks have never represented good value and I have never recommended them. But now, the tide may be changing.
Solar stocks have been "darling" investments. They represent the promise of new technology that most people feel will be an inevitable part of our energy future. They are "green" stocks and inspire good feelings in those who own them, as if the very act of investment somehow helps the environment. And with oil continuing to see very high prices, the rush into alternative energy companies has seemed liked the "smart" investment to make. For all these reasons, solar stocks have always seemed to me to be overvalued, running far ahead of what the companies actually could deliver in growth and earnings.
Let's look at First Solar (FSLR), which is far and away the solar company with the largest market-cap and which has always been the benchmark for measuring the sector.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV