(Building permits data added and stock prices updated at the close.)
WASHINGTON (TheStreet) -- The housing high simmered, as construction spending on new homes and apartment slipped 1% in July.
The Commerce Department said Tuesday that new construction fell to 581,000 units from 587,000 in June. Economists expected 600,000 units to be built in July.
The results were weighed down by a 13% plunge in apartment building. Construction of single-family homes, however, rose 1%.While the decline is not astronomical, it still portends a long, slow housing recovery, as housing starts during the month were still 38% below last year's levels. Building permits, which help gauge future activity, also fell 1.8% in July to 560,000. Economists expected a 0.5% increase to 573,000. Shares of home builders closed mixes, after a seasaw day of trading. Centex (CTX) ended the day down 0.3% to $11.95, KB Home (KBH) grew 3.5% to $17, Lennar (LEN) increased 3% to $13.19, Toll Brothers (TOL) was up 3% to close at $21.98 and Pulte Homes (PHM) ended the day about flat. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV