CHANGZHOU, China ( TheStreet) -- The second quarter shakeout of the solar industry continued yesterday. But one module maker managed to give some rosier results compared to other recent offerings.
Afterwards, investors were taking a shine on Trina Solar (TSL), sending its American Depositary Shares up 3%, or 78 cents, at $27.20 just after the opening bell this morning.
After the closing bell on Monday, Trina Solar said its earnings grew to $18.9 million, or 71 cents per ADS, from $17.1 million, or 68 cents per ADS, from the year-earlier quarter. Write-offs and gains -- including a $13.7 million foreign currency gain because of the appreciation of the euro against the dollar -- blended to impact bottom line results by 30 cents per ADS.
In a press release on Monday, the China-based operation said revenue fell to $150 million from $204.2 million during the year-earlier period because of the now-ubiquitous problem of declining module prices. Still, the second quarter top line results were a 13.5% improvement from the first quarter.On average, street forecasts from Thomson Reuters showed Trina Solar turning in a 32 cent per share effort during the second quarter, along with $149.5 million in revenue. Pointing to better demand out of Europe -- along with increasing customer financing and more government green-tech incentives in locales throughout Europe, North America and Asia -- Trina Solar said that shipments grew both sequentially and year-over-year to 63.9 megawatts of power. Even more so, though, was the company's gross margin growth to 27.4% from 23.2% in the year-earlier quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV