AirMedia Posts Steep 2Q Loss On Higher Costs
SEATTLE (AP) ¿ AirMedia Group Inc., which runs networks of digital screens that carry advertising and content in airports and places ads on airplane TV screens, on Monday reported a second-quarter loss as costs surged as it expanded its business.
AirMedia said it doesn't expect those costs to ease this year, and issued sales guidance below Wall Street expectations. Investors sent shares down 90 cents, or 12.9 percent, to $6.10 in after-hours trading. Earlier, the stock slipped 2 cents to close the regular session at $7.
The Beijing-based company said it lost $7 million, or 11 cents per share, compared with a year-ago profit of $7.3 million, or 11 cents per share. AirMedia said the cost of placing more traditional advertisements like billboards and light boxes in China's Beijing and Shenzhen airports ¿ a deal announced in March ¿ was largely to blame for the loss.
The fees AirMedia pays to airports and airlines more than doubled in the quarter to $28.1 million. The company said it is in the process of renegotiating contracts with major airports, but it expects the fees to reach at least $29.5 million in the current third quarter and $35.5 million in the fourth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV