Vanguard Launching Seven Bond ETFs
Vanguard is set to launch seven new bond ETFs in what is an illustrative example of how the ETF industry is growing. The latest editions to the rapidly growing fixed-income ETF family are expected to include three U.S. Treasuries funds, three corporate bonds and one mortgage-backed securities fund.
The new Vanguard funds are a shot across the bow for iShares, the ETF giant that currently dominates the fixed-income ETF product line. Currently, iShares offers 27 bond-based ETFs with assets of more than $63 billion, according to Morningstar. Vanguard has a smaller shop with five fixed-income funds whose assets total $8 billion.
Vanguard is vying for a popular piece of iShares' business. The top two asset gatherers for iShares in 2009 have been fixed income products: iShares Barclays TIPS Bond (TIP) and iShares iBoxx $ Investment Grade Corporate Bond Fund (LQD). (See Fixed-Income ETFs Attracting Investors.
Vanguard's strategy revolves around fees. The new ETFs are slated to have an expense ratio of 0.15%. This is the same pricing that iShares uses for its U.S. Treasury ETFs like the Barclays 1-3 Year Treasury Bond Fund (SHY).The twist is when it comes to the new Vanguard corporate bond and mortgage-backed ETFs, which at 0.15% will be priced lower than comparable iShares ETFs. iShares' Barclays MBS Bond Fund (MBB), for example, has an expense ratio of 0.25%. Vanguard isn't the first ETF issuer to realize how popular iShares' fixed income funds have become. Bond giant Pimco recently entered the arena, offering a 1-3 Year U.S. Treasury Index Fund (TUZ) that currently has the winning price point of 0.09%. Pimco, already a fixed-income giant, is well positioned to release more funds that will go toe to toe with iShares (Pimco Breaks Ground on Active ETFs).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV