Gizmodo's source claims that the first Tablet prototype was built in late 2008, and predicts that the device will be on the market in time for this year's holiday season.
A source familiar with the companies, who asked not to be named, recently told TheStreet.com that the initial version of the tablet will be subsidized by Verizon, but Apple and Verizon "won't be as tightly integrated" as Apple's iPhone exclusivity deal with AT&T (T).
Apple, which is notoriously tight-lipped about its product plans, has not yet responded to a request for comment from TheStreet.com on its Tablet strategy.The Tablet space has already proved problematic for the likes of Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) and Toshiba, although the rewards could outweigh the risks for Apple. With third-quarter iPod sales sliding and second-quarter Mac sales falling for the first time in five years, it makes sense for the consumer technology giant to re-invigorate its product line. Even the ever-popular iPhone is now three years old, although the Cupertino, Calif.-based firm is planning to extend the technology to the Chinese smartphone market. -- Written by James Rogers in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV