Colonial BancGroup's Prospects Dim
Colonial, which recently expressed doubt about its ability to continue operating, and was the subject of a Securities and Exchange Commission probe and a Justice Department criminal investigation, will be shut down late Friday by Alabama regulators, Down Jones reported, cited sources. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. is expected to take Colonial into receivership and selling its deposits and branches to BB&T, which is based in Winston-Salem, N.C.
There have been 72 previous bank failures this year, which are detailed on TheStreet.com's interactive bank failure map.
-- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV