Jinpan 2Q Profit Up 44 Percent; Shares Fall
The Associated Press
Jinpan International Ltd., which makes cast resin transformers for power distribution, said on Friday that its second-quarter profit jumped 44 percent as raw material prices fell and it benefited from an influx of high-end orders. But its shares fell sharply as it predicted that earnings growth would slow.
The company earned $8.7 million, or $1.07 per share, during the quarter that ended June 30, up from $6 million, or 74 cents per share,last year. Revenue was nearly flat at $40.9 million, compared with $40.6 million a year ago.
Selling, general and administrative expenses rose 28.6 percent to $9 million because of higher research and development spending and extra overhead at the company's facilities in Shanghai and Wuhan, China, which were not open during the second quarter of 2008.The company, based in Hainan, China, predicted full-year sales of $154 million to $159 million, versus 2008 sales of $154 million. It said it expects to earn $22.5 million to $23.3 million for the full year, or $2.75 to $2.85 per share. Jinpan shares fell $4.58, or 12 percent, to $32.61 in midday trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV