Cardica Posts Narrower 4Q Loss, But Sales Fall
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (AP) ¿ Surgical systems maker Cardica Inc. on Thursday reported a narrower loss in its fiscal fourth quarter, as research and general expenses decreased.
Cardica said sales of its anastomosis systems, which automate the attachment of blood vessels and grafts during heart bypass surgeries, were slower than expected in the quarter. As a result, it cut costs and in January eliminated 13 jobs.
The company said its lost $3.5 million, or 22 cents per share, in the quarter ended June 30. That compares with a $4.8 million loss, or 31 cents per share, a year earlier. Revenue fell 29 percent to $2 million from $2.8 million. Analysts had forecast a loss of 23 cents per share and $2.9 million in revenue, according to a Thomson Reuters survey.
Cardica reported $2.3 million in selling, general and administrative costs, and $1.9 million in research and development costs. Those were down from $3.7 million and $2.7 million, respectively. Cost of product revenue fell to $1.2 million from $1.4 million.The company posted $1.2 million in product revenue and $815,000 in development revenue, down from $1.6 million and $1.2 million, respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV