Editor's note: This is the first column from Rick Pearson, a Beijing-based private investor focusing on U.S.-listed China small-cap stocks.
ABAT essentially is following a business model that will place it squarely in the highly competitive electric-vehicle space rather than in the highly profitable Li-ion battery space. The markets immediately recognized this, driving ABAT down by more than 10% to $3.90 Thursday, and down from a recent high of $5.04 on Aug. 6, a decline of 23%.
Over the past year, ABAT has twice diluted shareholders by raising equity/equity-linked financing and intends to use the new funds to expand in a less profitable but more visible and rapidly growing business area, namely electric vehicles via wholly owned subsidiary Wuxi Zhongqiang Autocycle.While ABAT did its best to post nice-looking numbers, the underlying deterioration of its business model is clear. Revenue rose 29% to $13.8 million from last quarter, primarily on increased sales of its wholly owned subsidiary, Wuxi ZQ. As a result, even with Wuxi ZQ sales accounting for only 26% of revenue, total gross margin fell from 50.8% to 45.8%. Sales via Wuxi ZQ are expected to comprise an ever growing-portion of ABAT sales, resulting in increasing pressure on its gross margins. Moreover, while profit increased a seemingly impressive 122% to $8 million quarter over quarter, the increase was due to a one-time gain of $9.9 million on the purchase of Wuxi ZQ. It's unclear how that gain was calculated. Excluding the one-time gains, net profit would have been $1.3 million, a decrease of 50% quarter over quarter, representing a net margin of only 10%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV