Symmetricom Shares Tumble After 4Q Miss
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Symmetricom Inc. shares tumbled Wednesday, hurt by fiscal fourth-quarter results and a forecast that fell below Wall Street expectations.
The San Jose, Calif. company's stock fell 88 cents, or 14 percent, to $5.19 in midday trading.
Symmetricom, which makes synchronization hardware and software services, said Tuesday it reversed its year-earlier loss, posting earnings of $1.9 million, or 4 cents per share. Adjusted profit totaled 8 cents per share, a penny short of analysts estimates, according to Thomson Reuters.
Sales topped projections, growing 6 percent to $60.4 million, compared with the average forecast of $55.3 million.But Morgan Keegan analyst Simon Leopold, who kept a "Market Perform" rating on shares, attributed better-than-expected sales to "typical lumpiness," an uneven distribution of revenue over the full year. He added in a note to clients Tuesday that "despite the upside to sales, expenses jumped to cover bonuses that the staff earned for the better revenue." Symmetricom also said fiscal first-quarter results will likely disappoint Wall Street. It expects revenue of $48 million and $55 million and adjusted earnings of a penny to 6 cents per share. The average forecast called for earnings of 9 cents per share, while analysts expected revenue of $54 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV