Nortel CEO Leaving on 'Logical' Note
Zafirovski's departure follows a turbulent few months that saw the company enter Chapter 11 bankruptcy and begin carving off its assets. Nortel announced plans to liquidate earlier in the summer, spelling the beginning of the end for the 127-year-old company.
In a statement released Monday, the Canadian company confirmed Zafirovski's immediate departure as well as announcing that the company's board will be reduced from nine members to three.
The news is not exactly out of the blue. Last week. Zafirovski told the Ottawa Citizen newspaper that he planned to leave the company soon, adding that he was close to fulfilling his obligation to Nortel."We've reached a logical departure point," said Harry Peace, chairman of Nortel's board, in a statement released Monday. "Mike made a commitment to see the process through the stabilization of the company, sale of its largest assets and the right plans and people to continue operating our business and serving customers." Former Motorola (MOT) executive Zafirovski was parachuted in to save Nortel in 2005, but has presided over its death throes. The CEO recently told Canadian lawmakers that the credit crunch precipitated Nortel's descent into bankruptcy protection, although the firm had been wrestling with plummeting sales well before its Chapter 11. Although undoubtedly dealt a difficult hand when he took over at Nortel, Zafirovski's critics have argued that he should have sold off pieces of the company earlier, avoiding a fire sale.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV