Four other banks had negative capital ratios according to preliminary regulatory reports for the second quarter. After Corus, which had $7 billion in total assets, the largest of these was Mainstreet Bank of Forest Lake, Minn., with $459 million.
Undercapitalized Banks and Thrifts
The list of undercapitalized banks is based on preliminary data that's subject to revision. Banks or S&Ls might have raised capital since June. The list also excludes banks and thrifts whose capital ratios meet government standards but are considered undercapitalized because regulators are requiring them to hold additional money.
The list is sorted by state in ascending order by tier 1 leverage ratio:
Free Financial Strength Ratings for Banks, ThriftsTheStreet.com Ratings issues independent and very conservative financial strength ratings on each of the nation's 8,500 banks and savings and loans which are available at no charge on the Banks & Thrifts Screener. In addition, the Financial Strength Ratings for 4,000 life, health, annuity, and property/casualty insurers are available on the Insurers & HMOs Screener. The writer owns shares in Riverside Banking Co., the holding company for Riverside National Bank of Florida, of Fort Pierce, a former employer. -- Reported by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV