XTO Energy Beats Street, Ups Outlook
With the market dropping on greater-than-expected job losses -- and the oil sector, in general, weighed down by today's announcement that crude inventories rose by a more-than-expected 1.7 million barrels -- the good news of the company's announcement was generally lost to the markets today.
Total revenues for the quarter were $2.27 billion, 17% greater than the $1.94 billion the company pulled during the prior year. XTO's earnings for the quarter were $496 million, or $0.85 per share, compared with second quarter 2008 earnings of $575 million, or $1.11 per share.
The results beat Wall Street expectations of 82 cents per share, according to a Thomson Reuters survey."Looking ahead to 2010, we anticipate a recovering economy, decreasing natural gas supply and increasing natural gas demand," said Bob Simpson, chairman and founder of XTO. "Through our hedging program, the company has already secured an equivalent price of $11.33 per thousand cubic feet on about 40 percent of expected production." Given these expectations, XTO raised its full-year production growth target to 20 percent, compared with an earlier estimate of 16 percent growth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV