MIRAMAR, Fla. ( TheStreet -- The high seas may generate the next big wave of high-end property buying.
The concept of selling residential units aboard a cruise ship first made a splash with the 2002 launch of The World, the only vessel of its kind. Others, however, have floated plans to capitalize on this unique real estate sector.
The World, managed by Miramar, Fla.-based ResidenSea, is a far cry from the standard vacation ships run by Carnival (CCL) or Royal Caribbean Cruises (RCL). The 12-deck ship is owned co-op style, by its residents. Prices start at $1.4 million for one of the 165 units set aside for buyers.
|Since 2002, The World has travelled the globe as a residential community at sea.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV