The RealMoney contributors are in the business of trading and investing all day on the basis of ongoing news flow. Below, we offer the top five ideas that RealMoney contributors posted today and how they played those ideas.
TheStreet.com brings you the news all day, and with RealMoney's "Columnist Conversation," you can see how the pros are playing it on a real-time basis. Here are the top five ideas played today. To see all that RealMoney offers, click here for a free trial.
1. Utility Earnings
By Tim Melvin
1:42 p.m. EDT
According to the Energy Information Association industrial demand for energy is down 12% nationally. Duke reported demand that fell even further. Industrial demand was off 18% in the Carolinas and 20% in the company's Midwestern operations. The CEO at Duke told investors that industrial demand may be stabilizing, but he does not see it improving anytime soon. The company CFO affirmed this, saying it may well be 2011 before demand shows any meaningful increase.Even with all the cost-cutting that has gone on in corporations this year, merely stabilizing at these levels does not bode well for earnings going forward. No positions.
2. Canada vs. Europe
By Marc Chandler
1:04 p.m. EDT In recent weeks we have recommended long Canadian dollar positions against the U.S. dollar and the Mexican peso. Over the past month, the Canadian dollar has been among the best-performing currencies, gaining 8.6% against the dollar and more than 7.5% against the Mexican peso. We are concerned that from a fundamental perspective, much of the good news for Canada has been discounted, such as higher commodity prices and the recovery in the auto sector. The persistent strength of the Canadian dollar risks some condemnation by Canadian officials who are worried that it may hamper the recovery.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV