During the quarter, the company recorded a loss of $142.3 million, or 45 cents a share, compared with a loss of $399.3 million, or $1.26, in the year prior. Analysts expected a loss of 23 cents.
Revenue tumbled 36% to $914.1 million from $1.43 billion last year.
The company sold 4,240 homes during the quarter despite 26% of buyers canceling orders.The smaller loss follows some positive data in the housing industry. The Commerce Department reported on Monday that construction spending increased 0.3% in June, surpassing analysts' forecast. Centex (CTX) also reported that it swung to a first-quarter profit, even as revenue was nearly halved, although Pulte Homes (PHM) widened its loss in the second quarter, to $189.5 million, or 74 cents a share. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV