The home builder widened its loss in the second quarter to $189.5 million, or 74 cents a share, compared with a loss of $158.4 million, or 63 cents, in the year-ago period. Analysts expected a loss of 57 cents.
Revenue more than halved to $679 million from $1.63 billion in the year prior.
Shares of Pulte ended the day up 3% to $11.76, but fell 1% in after-market trading.In contrast to Pulte's troubles, Rival Centex (CTX) swung to a first-quarter profit, even as revenue was nearly halved. Likewise, earlier today, the Commerce Department announced that construction spending increased 0.3% in June, surpassing analysts' forecast. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV