TheStreet.com Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund ratings and commentary based on award-winning, proprietary tools. Its "safety first" approach to investing aims to reduce risk while seeking total return performance.
The numbers: While second-quarter revenue increased 8% to $409 million, Crown Castle swung to a net loss of $111 million, or 41 cents per share, from a year-earlier profit of $60 million, or 19 cents. The company was hindered by $110 million of quarterly interest expenses. Its operating margin increased from 19% to 26%, but its net margin fell into negative territory. A quick ratio of 0.8 and a debt-to-equity ratio of 2 demonstrate weak liquidity and excessive leverage. We give Crown Castle a financial strength score of 2.9 out of 10.
The stock: Crown Castle has gained 65% this year, beating major U.S. indices. We consider the stock, which doesn't pay dividends, an unattractive investment.The model upgraded chocolate manufacturer Hershey (HSY) to "buy." The numbers: Second-quarter revenue rose 6% to $1.2 billion as earnings jumped 72% to $71 million, or 31 cents. Its operating margin increased from 12% to 14% and its net margin climbed from 4% to 6%. Just $28 million of cash reserves and a quick ratio of 0.3 indicate a weak liquidity position. A debt-to-equity ratio of 3.9 indicates a capital structure skewed toward debt. Still, Hershey has remained profitable during every quarter of the recession and has a steady revenue stream, which helps compensate for a weak balance sheet. The stock: Hershey has advanced 15% this year, outpacing the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 Index. The stock trades at an expensive price-to-earnings ratio of 25, but offers an attractive 3% dividend yield.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV