Corus, Colonial on the Brink
Since the agreement came right at the deadline for the company to raise capital under its regulatory agreement, there were several breathlessly positive headlines suggesting that Colonial had actually gotten the money, while TheStreet.com expressed doubt.
Colonial remained positive about its prospects for raising capital in a May 22 press release, saying that the "due diligence contingency under the stock purchase agreement dated March 31, 2009 has been satisfied."
The company never got the money and announced Friday that the agreement with Taylor, Bean & Whitaker was terminated.
Colonial BancGroup's nonperforming assets comprised 6.54% of total assets as of June 30. The company's net charge-offs (actual loan losses) for the second quarter totaled $244 million or an annualized 7.02% of average loans. This is a fast pace for charge-offs. In comparison, the company's ratio of loan loss reserves to total loans was 3.69% as of June 30, meaning that unless loan charge-off activity slows down considerably, Colonial will need to set aside large amounts for loan loss reserves over coming quarters to keep up with the charge-offs, leading to more net losses.-- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla..
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV