WASHINGTON ( TheStreet) -- An unexpected jump in construction spending in June sent shares of homebuilders rallying in afternoon trading.
The Commerce Department said on Monday that construction spending increased 0.3% during the month, surpassing analysts' forecasts of a 0.5% decline.
The news sent shares of Toll Brothers (TOL) up 1.6% to $19.87, Pulte Homes (PHM)grew 3% to $11.70, Centex (CTX) spiked 4% to $11.32, KB Home (KBH) grew 3% to $17.20 and Lennar (LEN) jumped 3% to $12.18.
But results were still 10.2% below last year's level.Residential construction, which inched up 0.5%, drove the better-than-expected results. Public construction increased 1%, its biggest jump since March, and federal government construction grew 1.9%, the most since December 2008. This is just another positive in the growing list of good news in the housing sector. Last week the Standard & Poor's/Case-Shiller home price index saw its first monthly increase in three years, new home sales grew 11% in June and existing home sales grew 3.6% during the month. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV