Unlike WisdomTree or RAFI -- which have created branded indexes -- RevenueShares seeks to apply its revenue-weighting mechanism to known indexes. Like the well-known State Street Global Advisors SPDRs ETFs, RevenueShares has filed for all of the S&P industry sectors. RWL, for example, applies the revenue strategy to the same index that SPDR S&P (SPY) and iShares S&P 500 Index (IVV) track.
RevenueShares has taken a measured approach to launching its ETF product line, not wanting to flood the market with funds. "We will only release ETFs one by one as the market demands them. The last thing we want to do is flood the market with ETFs that don't receive interest and trading volume from advisors, and thus fail," said Paul Weisbruch of RevenueShares.
RevenueShares' familiar indexes and revenue approach make these funds appropriate for longer-term investors. Rather than tracking an extremely focused portion of the market, or resetting on a daily basis, RevenueShares' products are designed as a cheaper alternative to popular mutual funds.
While investors will have to pay-up for the RevenueShares strategy -- IVV's 0.09% management fee is less than RWL's 0.49% -- the ETFs have done well in 2009. iShares S&P MidCap 400 Index (IJH) is up 18.23% year to date, while RWK has jumped 30.62%.Investors should remain mindful, however, of lower volume in the RevenueShares ETF funds. While the structure of ETF products allows investors to jump quickly in and out of funds, RevenueShares' products are intended for a longer-term audience.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV