TheStreet.com Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund ratings and commentary based on award-winning, proprietary tools. Its "safety first" approach to investing aims to reduce risk while seeking total return performance.
The numbers: Second-quarter revenue decreased 16% to $1 billion as net income inched up 2% to $157 million. Earnings per share fell 7% to 93 cents, hurt by a significantly higher share count. The operating margin climbed from 21% to 22% and the net margin jumped from 13% to 15%. A quick ratio of 0.6 indicates a weak liquidity position, but the cash balance has grown 313% to $157 million since the year-earlier quarter. And a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.7 demonstrates reasonable leverage.
The stock: Canadian Pacific has increased 33% in 2009, beating major U.S. indices. At a 2009 price-to-earnings ratio of 17, the stock is on par with the S&P 500 Index, but at a discount to its peer group.The model upgraded transaction-processor MasterCard (MA) to "buy." The numbers: Second-quarter revenue increased 3% to $1.3 billion as the company swung to a profit of $349 million, or $2.67 per share, from a loss of $746 million, or $5.74 per share, in the year-earlier period, helped by improved pricing, more transactions processed, and fewer rebates and incentives. The operating margin increased from 33% to 44% and the net margin climbed from negative territory to 27%. MasterCard has an outstanding financial position, especially when considering its size. A quick ratio of 1.3 indicates strong liquidity and the balance sheet holds just $21 million of debt, reflecting minimal leverage. The stock: MasterCard is up 36% in 2009, beating major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a 2009 price-to-earnings ratio of 18 and a 2010 P/E ratio of 15, but offers a dividend yield below 1%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV