TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (TheStreet) -- Real estate funds rallied this week as new-homes sales jumped 11% in June. Existing-home sales rose 3.6%.
For the week ending July 30, the average real estate fund we track gained 3.5%, excluding inverse funds that sell short property stocks.
Competing measurements of housing prices point to a bullish sentiment. The S&P Case-Shiller Index, which reviews prices in 20 metropolitan areas, bottomed out, and the more sensitive Radar Logic RPX Monthly Housing Market Report showed a clear reversal in direction with a two-month increase of 4.8% in the price paid per square foot since late March.
With mortgage applications on the rise and June's median price of existing homes climbing 10.3% since January, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke described the real estate recession as "moderating."The best-performing fund, Direxion Daily Real Estate Bull 3X Shares (DRN), is brand new. It popped 14% in the five trading days under review. The fund is 300% leveraged to the daily performance of the MSCI US REIT Index. The fund's initial REIT weightings are 29% specialized, 25% retail, 17% office, 15% residential, 9% diversified and 5% industrial. Top-performing real estate investment trusts in the index include FelCor Lodging Trust (FCH), up 14%; Kilroy Realty (KRC), up 13%; CBL & Associates Properties (CBL), up 11%; and SL Green Realty (SLG) up 10%. The second-best-performing fund is a closed-end fund named DWS RREEF Real Estate Fund (SRQ). One of its 10 largest holdings, Equity Residential (EQR) jumped 9.8% in one week. The company, which owns more apartment buildings than any other tradable REIT, reported second-quarter funds from operations of 58 cents a share, beating estimates.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV