DENVER (TheStreet) -- Homebuilder and mortgage company MDC narrowed its second-quarter loss, even as fewer homes were sold and selling prices remained low.
During the quarter, the company recorded a loss of $29.6 million, or 64 cents a share, compared with a loss of $100.7 million, or $2.18 a share, in the year-ago period. Analysts had expected a loss of 58 cents.
But last year's results were weighed down by an $88.3 million charge for asset write-downs and a $43.4 million allowance for tax deferrals.
The most recent quarter's results include an increase in its tax allowance of $17.6 million.Revenue was more than halved to $195.3 million from $403.4 million, due to fewer home sales and lower selling prices. Still, despite fewer home sales and lower prices, orders increased to 977 homes from 959 -- the year-over-year increase for the company since 2005. The cancellation rate fell to 20% from 43%. Shares of the company rose 3% to $35.39 in morning trading, and other homebuilders followed suit. Toll Brothers (TOL) inched up 1% to $19.49, KB Home (KBH) rose 1% to $16.62 and Centex (CTX) was trading hands up 1.5% to $10.85. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV