BOSTON (TheStreet) -- On the first Tuesday of each month, curious gourmands crowd into Coffee and Chocolate, a small coffee shop in Knoxville, Tenn., where they pay $25 for the opportunity to sample a piece of artisanal chocolate and a cup of joe known as Kopi Luwak. The coffee is revered for its sweetness and smoothness, but better known for its derivation: the fannies of Indonesian civet cats.
Every coffee bean in the world comes from the middle of a coffee berry fruit. And in most coffee production, a person or a machine skins the berry from the bean. Not so in the production of Kopi Luwak, in which an Asian Palm Civet chooses and eats the reddest and ripest berries, which travel through its digestive tract, stripping the fruit from the bean. What comes out the other end of the civet is a clump of undigested coffee beans.
The beans are collected by local workers and eventually sold at retailers such as Coffeeforless.com, which sells the stuff for $350 a pound -- although it has been known to sell for up to $600 per pound. Production reports vary, but generally fewer than 1,000 pounds of luwak beans are collected annually, and their relative rarity helps account for the expense.
|Kopi Luwak is made from beans that have been digested by civet cats in Asia.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV