Biotech Stock Mailbag: Discovery Labs
Earth to Capetola: Resign in disgrace and let the board sell the company. You've hurt shareholders enough already.
I received a bunch of emails similar to this one right after Bristol announced its $2.1 billion acquisition of Medarex on July 23.The thinking goes something like this: Companies like Medarex and Micromet that possess biologic antibody technology are in short supply and in demand by larger drug companies. With Medarex now spoken for, it's more likely that a Bristol competitor makes a takeout play for Micromet. Sure enough, Micromet's stock price moved slightly higher on the speculation and the company used the new investor interest to raise $70 million in a follow-on stock offering priced Wednesday night. I don't know if Micromet is, or is not, an imminent takeover candidate. The company owns a novel and interesting antibody technology platform. I wrote about interim data from a phase II study of the company's lead drug blinatumomab in June. Last March, AstraZeneca (AZN) returned North American rights for blinatumomab to Micromet, although AstraZeneca continued to manufacture the drug for Microment and retained a one-time option to reacquire rights to the drug upon its first regulatory approval. However, Micromet is reportedly buying back AstraZeneca's remaining option on blinatumomab for $6 million, according to an investor who was briefed by Micromet during meetings this week tied to the follow-on offering. Furthermore, AstraZeneca will no longer manufacture the drug for Micromet, which is now contemplating plans to build its own facility to make the drug.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV